- Currently in prototype form, the Auto Tool-Changer (ATC) is a Visible Robot-attached docking station for “smart tools.”
- It has 3 ports for up to three tools.
- The robot controller provides signals to a solenoid actuator for grasp/release of tools.
- The “smart tools” interact with a workstation controller via—yet-to-be-developed— protocol. ( Tool ID→Pwr reqm’t→Signaling reqm’t→Task commands↔Sensor response )
- Tools are controlled with signals via USB Type-A Micro for simple tool control (on/off, spindle speed, etc.) and USB Type-C for more complex tools (A/V, multiple Degrees-of-Freedom, etc.)
- Tools are powered with USB power USB Type-A Micro for up to 2.5W of power (5V @ 0.5A)
USB Type-C with PD2.0 for up to 100W of power (20V @ 5A)